Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

Hello loves,

I recently read a great book that left me very speechless. My good friend (and reliable literary source) Samara recommended The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, as a good choice for my next bookish venture. I was a little thrown off that she recommended and enjoyed the novel so deeply because it's teen fiction and teen romance. Two genres I avoid like the disgusting, desperate, perilous mass they usually are. Surprisingly, for such a gripping story, I actually left this book more impressed with the author then with anything else about the book,



I'd like to believe that an authors intentions for his or her readers are pure. That they write to touch our souls, to change us, to move us, educate us and leave us with hope and understanding. This belief is hardly ever proven true. Most writers find a hard balance between themselves and their work. Now, here's the magic of John Green, his writing felt like it was written for somebody besides himself. I caught myself wondering aloud, during my reading, why John Green would write a teen novel and at that a romance? His characters, though teens, were vastly existential, asking questions and considering premises that were far above average teen thinking.



Those characters could have fit any age and any time but instead he wrote them as teens, slowly falling in love with the intellectual and emotional wisdom that they both shared after facing cancer. I watched Hazel and Augustus blossom together, drawn to each other by their inability to be normal. I ate it up of course but the idea kept plaguing me. Why are they teens? Why is this a teen romance book? Then suddenly it hit me. The world is full of crappy teen romance and for the first time in a long time somebody decided to write a very thoughtful, heartbreaking story to turn the genre on its head. Maybe this book will help drag us out of the vomit filled pit of lusty vampires and supernatural garbage. Because finally and graciously Green wrote a story about people who are more then a supernatural ideal but who are relatable and reachable. I have a feeling one day John Green, exasperated by the idyllic love mush, tossed his hands in the air and chose to write a really good teen book about some ordinarily, extraordinary people. That he chose to show us who we are in his eyes and the kind of teens he hopes for this generation to be. I felt genuinely honored in a sense. Like, wow somebody respects my generation enough to actually write a decent book. For this I thank him. For writing a novel that has injected a little promise into the lost, and passed over, art of teen fiction. For writing a book he is overqualified for and bringing prejudiced book snobs like myself out of my shell to test the waters. I'm sure he isn't the first and only author to do this ,he is only the first I've recognized and again I thank him and I am hopeful for the future of the genre.

Now that my world has been opened to the idea of good stories existing in teen fiction I think I'm ready to take another dip. After all, it's good to know what the kids are all about these days, I am one of them.

Okay? Okay.

- J


2 comments:

  1. Jaelle, I'm SO glad that you not only read, but really engaged with this book. And Green lovely writing is worthy of your equally lovely review!

    You nailed it with your analysis of Green's assessment of our generation. He's frequently spoke on his vlog and tumblr about the depth he's found in young adults - and the high expectations he has because of that.
    I appreciate his noble entreaty at the beginning of the novel to not try to seek out "a true story" this work was based on. I see his point. But how often the "true stories" and the one's we "make up" illuminate each other! The truth is, John Green once worked as a chaplain at a childrens hospital and learned first hand about the depth of young people facing death. And after starting the novel, but still while writing, Green met Esther Earl - who TFioS is dedicated to - a 15 year old girl dying of thyroid cancer. And Esther gave him the gift of reality for his novel. You can read more about that here: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/esther-earl-mourned-loved-strangers-years-death/story?id=17571760

    All that to say, I too appreciate Green's approach to YA fiction. I think he's inspiring other YA writers as well. Hopefully, this is just the beginning.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Okay.

    - Samara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Jae. I loved the book as well - Green did a phenomenal & captivating job!

    ReplyDelete