Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Mothers Bowl

Tonight I washed my mothers bowl. It started off routinely as ever. I squeezed a bit of soap into it's middle then worked my way outwards. As I turned it over in the sink I noticed the sticker at the bottom of the bowl that read "K Hamann" I smiled, knowing this was how my mother had marked this bowl for herself. It's the same sticker that had been there for forever though recently the edges curled up a bit and the writing was slightly faded. I traced it with my fingers slowly, feeling the slippery surface of the tape. Then I realized, someday when I inherit these pots and pans and dishware, and have my own shelves and cupboards to place them in,  that I'll have to replace the sticker on this particular bowl with a new one, with a new name. It wont be a Hamann bowl any longer, I wont be a Hamann any longer. I felt a bit of sadness fall over me. A twinge of the heart made me feel a little heavier inside. I'm going to miss that name. I"m going to miss my family and the way things have always been. Growing up, though exciting and wonderful,  seems to come at you so fast sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Jaelle, I completely have these thoughts too!!
    But remember, you will always be a Hamann just as I will always be a McCuen. Our last names may change, but our families and our blood never changes.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will always be a Hamann but things won't be the same. I'll be somewhere else, my bros will be off with their wives starting their own Hamann clans. Don't you ever miss the old days Ash? When all your brothers were home? I know I will, at least for a little while. I'll get used to it eventually, it's not like life with my husband won't be exciting and awesome! It'll just be...different.

    ReplyDelete